Saturday, February 21, 2009

Domestic Violence by Darnell 2.0 (thetalentedfifteen.blogspot.com)

*This is the republishing of a discussion board post on the FB group "Emerging Leaders of the Church of God"*

Ok I must admit I do some of my best thinking brushing my teeth. I was brushing my teeth and did what I always do when I brush, think of random issues from the day. So I brush a little more and thought about the destruction of 2 young people in the media, singers Chris Brown and Rihanna. I know they are not exactly the Gaithers or Winans, but their story of domestic violence is a story that play out tragically in and out of the church. Unfortunately, the church has not always come out on the side of Holiness when it comes to the subject of domestic violence. I have heard the horror story from the saints young and old from multiple denomination. We can look at Juanita Buynam as a quick frame of reference. I write this post not to beat up on the church b.c. thats not my aim but to ask the question what is the self esteem of our young women in church and our communites?

When you look over the net and read up on this Chris Brown and Rihanna saga, you find young woman bashing her as if she punched herself in the mouth. It is crazy. The media is not helping the situation by releasing photos further embarassing her. Any women who has been abused or raped will say they just want it to quietly and quickly go away. Okay, I must give a disclosure. I am a grandson of a woman who was abused for years by men under the ordination of the church's teaching of men being the head of the house. I have enjoyed the effects of the abuse. I digress. Any how, many young girls and adults have made the young lady Rihanna the blame. This is snarky tone of conversation can be heard in churches, not just the net, when it comes to abuse. I have heard it from other Christians in other situations with church members or friends. The scary thing is this argument is happening at the same time young girls/women domestic violence is on the rise. This in my mind shows the deep self hate that sits with young women.

Check these facts:
• Women between the ages of 16 and 24 experience
the highest per capita rates of domestic violence.2
• Nearly 80 percent of teenage girls who are abused
remain in the abusive relationship.3
• 40 percent of teenage girls know of someone who
has been beaten by her boyfriend.4
• 30 percent of all teenage girls who are killed are
killed by a boyfriend or former boyfriend.5

*info via- http://www.cwlc.org/files/docs/policy_brief_teen_dating_violence.pdf

Just remember amongst us are women who sit mentally and physically abused from a Patriarchal society that has enabled men to treat women to sit as a second class citizens. Church what can we do to reverse this? Should we do more besides expanding the same church rhetoric?

No comments:

Post a Comment