Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Look Outside The Box (written 12/31/08) by herownbeat

If you walked by me on the street, I wonder what you would think of me. Would you think differently if you saw me on Sunday instead of Wednesday or Saturday? Who are you to judge me? You don't know me.

My parents and I would always have an ongoing discussion about my outward appearance. Is that what you’re going to wear? Put some makeup on. Don’t you think your makeup is too bright? When are you going to relax your hair? Why is your hair that color? Oh my…a tattoo!!! What are people going to think??? Is that really all that I am?

Who am I? I recently participated in an exercise in which I had to give three words to describe my identity. Do you know how difficult it is to describe yourself in just three words? I’m ever-changing, evolving into something greater. Aren’t we all though, or at least, shouldn’t we be?

First and foremost, I decided that a Christian should describe my identity. That is the essence of who I am. Without God, I am nothing. Christianity is the foundation of my morals and values.

Then, I said I am unique. There’s none other like me. I march to the beat of my own drum. Why should I conform to the way that others think that I should be? I am the same person every day of the week – whether you see me in my church clothes, my business attire or my casual wear. My looks…my appearance doesn’t change who I am. That is internal, and you can only discover that by getting to know me.

And finally, I said diverse. While you may see a black female when you pass by, that is not all there is to me. Who are you to look at me and say that you know me? Do you know that I had a multicultural upbringing? Do you know that I have traveled to several countries? Do you know that I can speak more than one language? Do you know my outlook on life? Do you know my goals and dreams? Do you know anything that I have already achieved?

I have been blessed with an array of experiences and opportunities since I was a little girl. I refuse to let the world put limitations on me just because of what they see on the outside. This is not 1909, 1929 or 1959. This is 2009 and you will not box me in. I no longer understand the meaning of your looks and your stares.

I have a renewed faith in our country after this past election. I came to college in DC to become a political maven, but I became so disenfranchised with the good ol’ boys club. I never thought I would see the day that a black man would be elected president in my country. Yet, Barack Obama was not elected due to his race or ethnicity. The citizens of the United States looked beyond the surface…they looked outside of the box and envisioned the good that he could do for our country and the world.

So as we begin the new year, I ask you to look outside the book. Make it your resolution to release preconceived notions and stereotypes. Don’t allow the labels that others put on you become a hindrance in reaching your goals. In the same vein, stop judging others. Don’t think you know people based on their appearance – no matter if they have a different hair color, tattoos, piercings or just too strait-laced for you. That very person could be the key to moving you to the next level. In 2009, there should be no more ceilings and no more boxes. The only limitations will be self-imposed.


No comments:

Post a Comment